When the Pen Could No Longer Keep Up
There was a time when I never left home without a notebook and a pen.
Ideas have never been polite enough to arrive on schedule. They would appear while driving, walking, sitting quietly, or, quite often, in the middle of the night. I would wake from a dream with a single line echoing through my mind, fumble for the notebook, scribble a few words before they disappeared, then drift back to sleep, hoping those few lines would be enough to unlock the rest when morning arrived.
For many years, that little notebook became an extension of my memory. The challenge was never a lack of ideas. The challenge was trying to write quickly enough to keep pace with my imagination.
As the years passed, something changed. I realized that I no longer thought in words first. Instead, I began to think in pictures.
Long before a poem exists, I already see the scene. Before a song is written, I can almost hear its atmosphere. The characters are there, the colours are there, the emotion is there. The words simply become the bridge between what I can already see in my mind and what I hope others will one day experience.
That has transformed the way I create. Today, instead of racing to fill pages with hurried handwriting, I focus on holding the vision clearly. Once that vision is fixed in my mind, the technology becomes a set of tools that help me express it.
The process has become wonderfully simple. An idea becomes a conversation. The conversation becomes a poem or a song. The song finds its music. The music inspires the artwork. The artwork becomes the face of the finished creation.
What once took days or weeks can now become reality in a fraction of the time. Not because the creativity has been replaced, but because the distance between imagination and creation has become much shorter.
Some people imagine that artificial intelligence creates the art, and replaces the artist, I see it differently. The vision still belongs to the creator. The memories, the experiences, the emotions, the stories, the dreams, and the purpose all begin in the human mind. Technology simply helps transform those thoughts into something others can see, hear, and feel.
The notebook has not become obsolete. It has simply changed shape. Instead of paper and ink, I now have conversations that help organize ideas, refine lyrics, explore images, and bring music to life. The heart of the work, however, remains exactly where it has always been. Inside the imagination.
Every generation discovers new tools. The quill gave way to the fountain pen. The fountain pen yielded to the typewriter. The typewriter made room for the computer. Today, creative AI has joined that long line of tools that expand what is possible. None of those inventions replaced imagination. They simply allowed it to travel further.
Looking back, I smile at the countless nights spent reaching for a notebook before an idea escaped forever. Today, I still wake with visions. The difference is that my mind no longer has to wait for my pen to catch up. It can finally run at the speed of imagination.
